[CT Birds] Letter to Judge in Kapusta Case

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 20:00:02 EST 2016

Thank you, Kathy. Beautifully written.

Sarah Faulkner

----- Original Message -----

From: "Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
To: "List CT Birds" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:39:33 PM
Subject: [CT Birds] Letter to Judge in Kapusta Case

Below is a copy ogfthe letter I have sent to the Judge in the case of the
pigeon racer who traps and kills raptors. Hard to know if this will have
any effect on the outcome (sentencing is in May) but I felt we had to
express outrage at this. I encourage you to send your own letters. (Too
bad our cute little Connecticut Warbler doesn't show up on the list but it
is on the letters.)

*C*onnecticut ***COPY***

314 Unquowa Road, Fairfield, CT 06824

February 20, 2016

Hon. Robert N. Chatigny

450 Main Street, # 135
Hartford, CT 06103

Re: United States vs. Thomas Kapusta

Dear Judge Chatigny;

It is difficult to express the outrage we of the birding community felt
when this case came to our attention. The history of wildlife persecution
is long and ugly. Raptor populations are now rebounding from near
extinction from the DDT era of the last century and now are once again
taking their crucial place in our complex food web. The very thought that
an individual would feel entitled to trap and kill these birds is
abhorrent. We suspect that this practice may be more common in the pigeon
racing community than this one instance. The press release implies several
more offenses could have been charged in this case.

As we approach the centennial of the passage of the International Migratory
Bird Treaty Act of 1918, we hope the judicial system will send a message to
all those who fail to respect the lives of protected birds.

We respectfully request that any plea bargain you may have reached approach
the maximum sentence allowed by law: $75,000.00 fine and 30 months in

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Very truly yours:

Kathleen M. Van Der Aue, President

Connecticut Ornithological Association

Cc: Deirdre M. Daly, U.S. Attorney, Harold Chen, U.S. Attorney, Honora

Gordon, Special Agent, USF&WS, Robert Klee, Commissioner, CT DEEP

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut