[CT Birds] Chester, 2/22 - towhees and bluebirds

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Mon Feb 22 13:08:15 EST 2016

Chester, 2/22 ~ The warm weekend temperatures and last night's rain must
have drummed up some great eats for the birds. A flock of white-throated
sparrows, juncos, and chickadees filled our front yard and garden beds,
and they were joined by towhees: 3 males and 1 female, probably a record
for our yard. (I assume they're going to figure out the romance ratio,
when that time comes.)
The neighborhood bluebird flock is gathering as well. There are a number
of nest boxes in yards up and down our street, so it's always a lottery
of who will get a nest. I cleaned out our box and trimmed away brush
that had grown up around it - not a half hour later, a pair of bluebirds
passed through the yard, checking out the real estate. Hope springs
eternal!
~  Tammy Eustis, Chester