[CT Birds] Many sick finches in West Hartford

Susanne Shrader birdgirrl at comcast.net
Tue Feb 23 20:11:56 EST 2016

For the last week or so, there have been many sick finches at my yard.. It's similar to the behavior seen in House Finch eye  disease and but it is getting both House finches and Goldfinches. The affected birds are fluttering aimlessly and then land close to the ground unable to navigate.There is no swelling of the eyelids but the head is very matted and scruffy. These birds are unusually  "confiding" meaning they don't move. When  I went to fill a feeder, a Goldfinch was  just sitting on a perch  all fluffed up while I filled it!  I almost stepped on a   House Finch on the ground today,  it moved out from under my foot at the last minute and fluttered up is how I saw it. I wonder if this illness seems so pervasive  this year because of the extreme cold we had.  I put up extra feeders but there were still  many birds crowding around. Has anyone else noticed this?

Susanne Shrader
birdgirrl at comcast.net