[CT Birds] Great Gull Island talk

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Feb 24 11:48:16 EST 2016

Matthew Male will be giving a presentation next week for the Potapaug Audubon Society. The island is recruiting a work crew at Great Gull Island for the last two weeks in April and first two in September.   Even if you can't make it to this presentation you might want to consider helping out with one of these important work parties.   It is really an amazing place!

"I first ventured out to Great Gull Island in 1974 as a teenager to help clear vegetation from nesting areas. I have been working seasonally on the island ever since. Please join me for an evening of photos and conversation about volunteering to help the good work continue on Great Gull Island. The work starts in April 2016, about two weeks before the terns are due to arrive for the nesting season."

Discover how to help one of the most successful tern colony restoration programs, worldwide. Find out what it takes to join our crew of researchers and volunteers who have made this island the world's largest tern colony.

SEEKING: energetic, enthusiastic people who are willing to travel to work with birds and stay on a unique coastal island.

WHERE: Great Gull Island, the American Museum of Natural History's research station in Long Island Sound -- a rustic, 17-acre island located at the entrance of Long Island Sound, about 7 miles from the CT Shore.

WHAT: Join our spring and fall work crews!

Work projects include anything from loading and unloading supplies and equipment on the supply boat, then onto the island;

- Repairs and maintenance on buildings and structures;

- Vegetation control and tern habitat manipulation and enhancement;

- Marking tern nests and eggs.

WHY: Find out how you can contribute to one of the world's most successful Tern Colony restoration programs. Find out what it takes to join our group of researchers and volunteers.

Approximately 10,000 pairs of Common terns and 1,400 pairs of Roseate Terns breed seasonally on Great Gull Island (up from 0 pairs in 1949). A variety of other birds can be found in the Spring and Fall; just under 250 species have been seen on or near the island. In addition to migrating and pelagic birds, GGI wildlife includes a large concentration of Grey and Harbor Seals-- over 300 counted in April 2015."

For more information, please see:

https://www.facebook.com/PotapaugAudubon/photos/a.220430961430946.1073741827.211444048996304/603030309837674/?type=3&theater

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115