[CT Birds] Stratford Point bird seed status

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Feb 23 10:09:35 EST 2016

Thank you too all that donated seed for Stratford Point.  Many folks have been enjoying the flocks of Snow Buntings and Horned Larks, which at times give amazing views as they are chowing down on seed.   Up north where Evening Grosbeaks are common they have the nickname of "yellow pigs"  I've coined a new nickname for Snow Buntings  "white pigs"...boy do they eat a lot!  Speaking of the buntings, they are hanging out near the porch right out my office window today to stay out of the wind.

In any case, we have one 40 pound bag of proso millet, about 2 bags of mixed seed and a few bags of black oil sunflower left.   We can probably use at least one more big bag of millet, a couple/few bags of mixed seed and maybe a few bags of black oil sunflower in case anyone wants to contribute more seed.   Our thistle feeder is broken, so I need to figure out if that can be fixed to continue putting out thistle.

Also, as we start thinking about the feed plots we could probably use more seed as we get into April to plant in the feed plots.  We will be planting proso and red millet, black oil and striped sunflower, some "fancy" millets, safflower, "fancy" sunflowers, Mexican sunflowers and cosmos.  We may mix in a few bags of finch mix, as they seemed to be quite successful as sprouting good stuff last year.   We have some funding for the feed plots, but seed donations will help the effort be even better.   Also, stay tuned for opportunities to help volunteer with planting feed plots and some other habitat improvements in the spring.

Thank you!

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115
Your Legacy is Audubon's Future!