[CT Birds] Video of the Red-headed Woodpecker in Hadlyme

Spector, David (Biology) spectord at ccsu.edu
Sun Mar 6 09:48:47 EST 2016

Red-headed Woodpecker range and populations have fluctuated quite a bit over the years.  The species bred as far north as Labrador a century ago.  The reasons for population changes are not well understood but may well include  changes in extent and nature of farmland, availability of beech nuts, availability of other mast crops, availability of nest sites (dead elms and chestnuts probably benefited the species), etc.  There are conflicting data on the possible impact of starling competition for nest sites.

David

David Spector
Belchertown, Massachusetts