[CT Birds] along with waterfowl, Beachdale Pond (Voluntown) hosts bald eagles in Pachaug State Forest

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Mon Feb 29 19:53:12 EST 2016

Well it's one of those seasons at Beachdale Pond (Voluntown) and one day it's end to end with waterfowl and the next I wonder where have they all gone?  Sunday afternoon all the diving ducks were surfaced, allowing one adult eagle an uncompromised view of the shallows and depths.  Fifty fairly animated ringed-necks, half as many hooded mergs, approx. ten including goldeneyes (including five synchronized females diving about), two male common mergs, fourteen mallards (including two hulking females).  Two mute swans ate non-stop.  One herring gull lunched on a sunfish.  After about a half hour I was heading for the exit while counting the CG when the gull began its swoops and a juvenile eagle with a dark set of tail feathers flew its way across the pond and directly overhead making its way along the Pachaug downriver.
bald eagle juvenile:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/25271639812/in/dateposted-public/
Brian Williams
Griswold