[CT Birds] Northeastern Ct, TUESDAY, 3/8/16 FOY Winter Wren in Boston Hollow

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 21:18:53 EST 2016

Traveled around the northeast corner a bit, hitting several  different
spots.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford:

FOY  Winter Wren - responded to call
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Turkey vulture
Mourning Doves
Chickadees (many, many)
 Titmice (many)
Dark-eyed Juncos
Song Sparrows (singing)
Blue Jays
 White-breasted Nuthatch
Pair of  Pileated Woodpeckers - looked like they were  searching for a nest
site.
Downy Woodpeckers, (many)

Eastford Marsh, Rt 44, Eastford

No birds, but I discovered that the Osprey nest is down - no  sign of it at
all. That pond/marsh was created when I was kid, and the dead  snags in the
water are pretty well shot - nothing but the main trunks sticking  up  now.
I think it's very unlikely the birds will find another spot to  build a
nest near where it has been. Possibly in the trees around the  edges.

Beaver Dam Marsh, Natchaug SF, Chaplin

27 Ring-necked Ducks
I male Bufflehead  Possibly the one Steve Mortyko   saw today (Wednesday)
at  Knowlton Pond in Ashford
I male Wood Duck - flying and perched  alone.
8 C Geese

Mansfield Hollow Lake - from the boat  launch:

1 Adult Bald Eagle. I searched the  dead pines  on shore across from the
boat launch with no luck. But when I started scanning  the water for ducks
something caught my eye. There  was an adult eagle  perched on a stump right at
the water's edge. While I watched It jumped from the  stump into the water
and proceeded to take a bath just like a Robin in a bird  bath. In the
course of 5 minutes it actually did it twice. New behavior for  me.
7 Common Mergansers
2 (pair) Hooded Mergansers
I male Belted Kingfisher

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.