[CT Birds] Fwd: Bill for a constitutional amendment protects State lands is apparently still alive.

Susanne Shrader birdgirrl at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 20:57:17 EST 2016

According to state senator Kevin Witkos, the bill to protect State lands from misuse will have a public hearing on Monday. Finally, a good Republican!  I wrote the following, in case it is helpful to anyone.

As a 40 year resident of Connecticut, I thought state lands could never be  appropriated  for anything other than an  environmental  repository.  In the past few years, I have seen state land being traded for airports, and attempts made to put gun firing ranges on them. I understand there have been other lands swaps. Since  apparently it is not a  solemn duty of Connecticut to protect its parks, I think there should be a  State constitutional amendment to prevent these things from ever happening. In addition,  increased funding to maintain these parts from encroachment by people, such as   patrols  to prevent dumping trash  and yard debris  and cleaning up what is already there , and destroying invasive species is  important. .
Mr. Witkos suggests:
1) sent comments to  GAETestimony at cga.ct.gov  to submit your testimony on why CT land should be preserved and protected.
2) Your testimony can be as brief as you like. Just include your name and town. Refer to the bill as S.J. 36
3) Spread the word to others about this opportunity to support our environment!

Susanne Shrader