[CT Birds] Plankton feeding

James Dugan jim at worldpeace.org
Tue Mar 8 10:06:15 EST 2016

This morning was the first day of the season that I saw Ring-billed's feeding in small groups on the Housatonic River in New Milford. I believe this surface feeding also happens nearly every, if not every year. In past years I've observed the birds picking detritus of the rivers surface. They will land on the water, pick items off the water surface as they float downstream, then, after a little floating and picking will take a short flight a few yards back upriver to start over. They will also pick items off the water on the wing.

Jim Dugan
New Milford