[CT Birds] Woodcock

James Winkelmann james.winkelmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 10:43:11 EDT 2016

Hi Michael,
Lots of reports recently, Woodcocks seem abundant - and early - this
Spring.  You can see a map of sightings on eBird here:

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/amewoo?neg=true&env.minX=-153.29444930800202&env.minY=16.10815935757213&env.maxX=-12.669449308001958&env.maxY=59.119056575313685&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=cur

>From there you can customize date ranges but I've set this one for current
year.  Don't know where you are, but just last night at Nicholdale Farm in
Shelton I had at least 6, more likely 8 or more, in the first open field
area South of the first creek.  Began at 6:10pm with a few peents in the
distance, then all around me, and in short order had birds flying overhead,
twittering and calling, rising and diving, chasing each other around,
peenting every few seconds, even had one land in the field 25 yards in
front of me offering decent low light looks.  Pretty neat.

I'd think that just about any open field area with woods, brush, and water
supply nearby would host Woodcocks.  Good luck.

James Winkelmann
Monroe