[CT Birds] Duck Hunt

dbobolink at aol.com dbobolink at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 19:44:49 EDT 2016

>From Robert Dixon
Yesterday (3/13) myself, Tim Thompson, Jason Reiger and Doug Warner conducted our 3rd annual 'Duck Hunt'
We were able to find 20 species well below the 25 species the first two years. This seemed to be directly related to the mild conditions
this winter especially the last couple weeks. Many normally productive areas were quiet and birds seemed to have already moved on.
Conditions for viewing along the coast were fantastic with cloudy skies and calm water.

Here are the highlights - N. Stonington, Parke  Preserve - singing WINTER WREN, N. Stonington, Assekonk Swamp - WOOD DUCK (9) and EASTERN PHOEBE., Stonington, Point - an impressive raft of over 300 COMMON EIDER and PURPLE SANDPIPER (10)., Mystic River - OSPREY and EASTERN PHOEBE, Old Saybrook, N. Cove - LESSER SCAUP (21), S. Cove - GREEN-WINGED TEAL (30), NORTHERN PINTAIL (2) and RUDDY DUCK (150), Saybrook Point - BLACK SCOTER (3) and SURF SCOTER (60), Guilford, Shell Beach - NORTHERN SHOVELER (5), NORTHERN PINTAIL (4) and GREEN-WINGED TEAL (50), Stratford Marina - two imm. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS in the trees above the ditch at the end of Lockwood Rd. and ended the day at Silver Sands in Milford with two LONG-EARED OWLS and a couple AMERICAN WOODCOCK.