[CT Birds] Annual Meeting Schedule

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:53:09 EDT 2016

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow and thank you!  I have copied the
schedule for all who are attending our annual meeting tomorrow.  We'd
appreciate it if you could print a copy out and take it with you tomorrow.
In case this doesn't line up right you can find it and speaker profiles on
our website at:
  http://www.ctbirding.org/2016docs/2016AnnualMeetingSchedule.pdf

8:00-8:45 Registration/COA Marketplace – includes continental breakfast and
Birds and Beans© coffee, plus tea.

8:45-9:15 Welcome/Business Meeting. Kathy Van Der Aue, COA President, will
present a brief overview of the year’s activities, followed by election of
officers and board members.

9:15-10:15 Brad Winn – Understanding Shorebird Migration to Help Direct
Conservation Action The Director of Shorebird Habitat Management at the
Manomet Center for Conservation Science will explain how rapidly evolving
tracking technology is allowing us to better prioritize conservation
efforts.

10:15-10:40 Presentation of COA Awards.
• Mabel Osgood Wright Award – presented annually to a person or persons in
Connecticut who have made a significant contribution to the knowledge,
study, and conservation of birds.
• Betty Kleiner Award – honors the memory of Betty Kleiner, whose name is
synonymous with The Connecticut Warbler, COA’s flagship publication. The
award recognizes a deserving author or artist in the field of ornithology.
• COA Mini-grants Award – awarded annually to the applicant(s) whose
project most benefits Connecticut birds.

10:40-11:10 Break – COA Marketplace - time to socialize, purchase COA
Raffle tickets, and check out vendors’ offerings of bird-related items.

11:15-12:15 Neil Hayward – An Accidental Big Year 250,000 miles and 750
species… ABA Big Year record-holder will talk about exotic birds, remote
places, volcanoes, polar bears, Aleutian plumbing and more. Beware: Big
Years can be contagious!

12:20-1:25 Lunch at Founders’ Hall Cafeteria. Hot buffet lunch including a
vegetarian option.

1:30-2:30 Cameron Cox – Seawatching: The Identification of Waterbirds in
Flight Co-author of the Peterson Reference Guide to Seawatching will
explain how to identify distant ducks, gulls, loons, alcids, grebes and
other waterbirds in flight with techniques long-used by hawk watchers.

2:45-3:30 COA Raffle and Cameron Cox book signing. The ever-popular Raffle
concludes our day with many prizes including avian artwork and valuable
birding

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut