[CT Birds] The Bobolink Project is coming to Connecticut

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Tue Mar 22 12:44:39 EDT 2016

Dear Connecticut Birders,

As many of you know, grassland birds like Bobolinks, Upland Sandpipers, Grasshopper Sparrows, and Eastern Meadowlarks have all been showing steep, long-term population declines.  In the Northeast, these declines are exacerbated by the financial pressures that force farmers to mow their fields during the weeks that grassland birds are actively nesting.   These circumstances led to creation of The Bobolink Project, which offers farmers economic assistance to delay their mowing schedules so that grassland nesting birds can complete their breeding cycles. The project started as a collaboration between the University of Connecticut and the University of Vermont, and has successfully protected Bobolinks in Vermont's Champlain Valley.  We are pleased to announce that in 2016 The Bobolink Project is coming to Connecticut! Audubon Connecticut has partnered with Audubon Vermont and Mass Audubon to scale up this conservation model to all three states.

The idea is that grassland bird habitat is something that we all value and, who knows, might even pay for!  The Bobolink Project gives financial support to farmers who are willing to delay mowing of hayfields until after the nesting season. The amount of acreage we will be able to protect depends on the value of donations received by 22 April. Your support can create safe habitat for birds nesting in Connecticut and beyond. For more information and to participate in The Bobolink Project, please visit http://www.bobolinkproject.com/.

Join our mission and help spread the word! Follow us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TheBobolinkProject/?fref=ts.

Good birding, and thanks for your help,

Leslie MacLise-Kane
Center Director
Audubon Center Bent of the River
Team Leader Shrub and Grasslands Project

 http://bentoftheriver.audubon.org
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
Phone: 203.405.9112