[CT Birds] West Haven CAGU update

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:46:31 EDT 2016

Hi all, for those wondering, we left the California Gull at the West
Haven boat ramp at 6:30pm. Photos confirm it is the Hammo bird
relocated - exact feather-by-feather match. It looked settled in there
as light was starting to fade, so hopefully it will stick around for
tomorrow. We did not have anything to feed it, but the bird would
almost definitely come in for food (like it did at Hammonasset), as it
was loafing with the local parking lot gulls. Joined by Tony Amato and
Julian Hough.

Of note, there were VERY FEW gulls between Merwin Point (Milford) and
the West Haven Boat Ramp this late afternoon. Even Oyster River held
only about 200 total birds (zero Bonaparte's), a typical winter count,
though a first cycle ICELAND GULL was one of them. No plankton feeding
was observed offshore along this stretch of coast. This is a very
fluid and rapidly-changing situation.

I'll try to post a few comparison pics later on.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com