[CT Birds] Black-crowned Night Heron East Norwalk

Ian Devlin captain_ian at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 01:23:44 EDT 2016

While on my first patrol for Alewife herring tonight on this full moon, I found my first Black-crowned Night Heron. He was perched on a boom in the water on the exit of a culvert outfall across the street from where I live on Seaside Avenue. He had a buddy Great Blue Heron with him.
This is a drainage of Mill Pond in East Norwalk. A magnet to birds and fish. I see (and hear) Black Skimmers at night in early July during some years near the lights and docks on the east side of Veterans Park.

Noticed LOTS of baby Atlantic Menhaden (Southport and by Wall Street on the Norwalk River in particular tonight) in all areas I went looking tonight for Alewives. VERY unusual to see baby bunker in spring!! They must have held over, or possibly spawned again in late fall/early winter to produce these 2"-4" long young bunker.

Counted about 100 Alewives in Greenwich on the south side of the Post Road bridge over the Mianus River. Two raccoons and a Great Blue Heron there. No night herons on that spot.

Do Black-crowned Night Herons live in Connecticut year round, or do some stay and other migrate? Curious about that.

By the way, lots of activity on the NEXRAD HTML5 radar tonight after sunset! Tomorrow morning should offer new arriving birds!

Capt. Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT.

Sent from my iPhone