[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 14:02:15 EDT 2016

One of our pair of locally breeding (behind our house) Red-shouldered Hawks (can’t tell male from female unless they are together) was out on the front lawn this morning pouncing on and eating earthworms. We’ve seen this behavior every spring, and our locally breeding Cooper’s Hawk engages in this feeding behavior as well (have not seen the Cooper’s around this spring). I guess this is the inland equivalent of plankton feeding. We watched the Red-shoulders mating on Mar. 12, 100 feet from our front door.

Rob Mirer