[CT Birds] Killingworth bald eagle

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Mar 24 09:44:39 EDT 2016

Killingworth, 3/24 - I was driving to work (a little late, I'll admit!)
headed south on Roast Meat Hill Road. As I reached the spot where Wolf
Hollow cuts in on the right - with the fields of Lavender Pond Farms
alongside - I saw a large, dark bird flying straight down the road
toward my car, below tree level. At first I thought "vulture", because
they're a dime a dozen in these parts. But then the bird banked upwards
and landed on a branch overhanging the road, probably about 20 feet up
and directly in front of me. It was a mature bald eagle! The rump
flashed white as it landed, and then I had a clear, unobstructed view of
the white head, hooked yellow bill and talons - the whole nine yards!
I sat with my car idling for about 5 minutes, just watching. (Sorry, I
don't have a SmartPhone, so no pictures. Just had to live in the
moment.) The eagle calmly sat and looked around: at me, at its feet, out
into the Lavender Pond fields, and the woods on the other side. I
finally decided I had to actually go to work, and slowly drove under the
branch to continue on. The eagle didn't fly, but I'm sure it's moved on
by now.
So Killingworth folks: keep your eyes peeled!
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester (and Killingworth's Head Librarian)