[CT Birds] Viewing gulls at the end of Willards Island

Michaelene Komara mkcommunications at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 08:24:14 EDT 2016

For those ever interested in seeing gulls etc. that are in the far distance from Willards Island or within the far back marshes of the park exit road, I know of a public access "backdoor" view of this section of marshes along the Hammonasset River. Exit Hammonasset and turn east/north on Route 1. Drive just about 1/2 mile. Turn right into Salt Meadow Park (which I think is unmarked but across the street from Shoreline Medical). This property is the old Griswold Airport and now a Madison town park. Along the south side of the soccer field are two trail access points to the Coastal Forest Trail. Walk it to the wooden bench point and you will usually see a zillion gulls (this is where they come to shelter from high winds at Hammo). You might also sometimes see egrets, blue herons, cormorants, kingfishers, swallows, peeps, yellowlegs, killdeer, hawks, eagles, geese, and ducks...the usual menagerie.

Sent from my iPhone