[CT Birds] New Haven arrivals: Osprey, Eastern Phoebe, Northern Rough-Winged, Screech-Owl

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 20:01:08 EDT 2016

Hello Birders,

Today (Sunday) and yesterday I birded East Rock Park and West Rock Park (near Lake Wintergreen).  Some Spring arrivals of note:

Tonight at 4pm while walking from Orange Street to the athletic field in East Rock, I heard an EASTERN SCREECH-OWL cooing.  I looked up and found it nestled deep in a cavity.  I got a scope on it and treated some friends to great looks at this rusty-brown colored owl.

On Saturday we spotted our first OSPREY of the season hunting over the Mill River at East Rock.  Also one TREE SWALLOW.  A PEREGRINE FALCON flew by at dusk.  The RED-WINGEDS are getting noisy.  Three pairs of WOOD DUCKS were coupled up along the river.

Today at West Rock, we had one or perhaps two EASTERN PHOEBES flycatching in the woods.  A single GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET foraged and called high from the trees.

Around 3pm, a lone brown and (dull) white swallow (without a trace of blue) foraged over Lake Wintergreen and the little canal by the dam, alternating with perching on a high snag near the water.  We took some time to distinguish it from a first-year Tree Swallow (which is what I expected it to be), but its dusky neck (not sharply demarcated white), its flight pattern (big floppy wingbeats), and general impression from its foraging techniques (long straight lines, low on the water) made me conclude NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED.

Birds are advertising all around the East Rock neighborhood: Singers, copulators, and excavators seen in the last week include PEREGRINES, CARDINALS, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS, HAIRY WOODPECKERS, RED-TAILED HAWKS, WOOD DUCKS, MOURNING DOVES, CHICKADEES, etc., etc...

Happy Spring,

Kimberly Jannarone

New Haven