[CT Birds] Please Take Action to Save Open Space Funding in Connecticut

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Mar 28 19:42:10 EDT 2016

SAVE CONNECTICUT'S OPEN SPACE

View this alert in your web browser:

http://www.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=66955.0&pgwrap=n

As our state legislators and Governor Malloy seek ways to close this year's budget deficit, proposals under consideration include cuts to the Community Investment Act--the dedicated fund intended to be set up outside the budget to support investments in Open Space, Farmland/Dairy Support, Historic Preservation, and Affordable Housing.[1] The Community Investment Act is the only consistent source of funding for the state's Open Space and Watershed Land Acquisition Grant Program under the  Department of Energy and Environment Protection.

***TAKE ACTION***

We expect the Connecticut legislature to begin voting on deficit mitigation as early as tomorrow.  Email your state senator and representative and urge them to ensure Connecticut's future by limiting the cuts to the Community Investment Act until it can be fully funded again:

http://www.audubonaction.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=2197&autologin=true&utm_source=action&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016-03-28-ctalert

Once open space is gone, it is gone forever. It is difficult protecting open space from development with limited state funding resources; and too often, wildlife habitat is altered.

***TAKE ACTION***

Speak up for Wood Thrushes and other birds that depend on our open spaces. Tell your state legislators that protecting open space, parks, and farmland is important to you:

http://www.audubonaction.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=2197&autologin=true&utm_source=action&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016-03-28-ctalert

Sincerely,

Genese Leach

Policy Manager, Audubon Connecticut