[CT Birds] new faces Sunday in Hopeville; grebes and teals at Beachdale Pond (Voluntown)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Apr 3 22:47:18 EDT 2016

Today there were some new faces after the storm left; cedar waxwings stopped outside the window while doing dishes this afternoon.  Hard to tell which direction they took from here but it's definitely an earlier start than past years.  Found a bonus nearby where a bunch of cowbirds tenaciously occupied the house sparrow roost.
At dinnertime I walked the trail from Trail I Rd. to Beachdale Pond (Voluntown).  Green-winged teals took off before I had a clear picture but the glaring white side stripe is evident in the one I managed.  Pied-billed grebes kept very busy submerged and would surface only briefly.   After counting the number of wakes they produced I sat for the chance to get decent pictures. Heard and then watched northern rough-winged swallows coursing the pond for a short while and pine warblers have begun getting vocal in more remote locations.
pied-billed grebe
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/26130415662/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

Brian Williams   Griswold