[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Events in April

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Mar 29 20:58:16 EDT 2016

Please note the following schedule of April NHBC activities, and check the website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

Indoor Meeting:

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, April 14.  Michele Parrett — Beyond the Scope: The Social Lives of Captive Parrots.  Free and open to the public.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden. Parrots have enchanted us for centuries. We find their plumage breathtaking, their intellectual abilities intriguing, and their antics amusing. Above all, perhaps we’re most fascinated by their ability to talk and by the ways they use words to connect with us. Parrots are highly social by nature, but we usually underestimate their need for attention and interaction when we bring them into our homes. Join us for an inside look at the social and emotional lives and needs of captive parrots. Even if you’ve never owned a parrot, this presentation will shed intriguing light on how wonderfully complex, intelligent, sensitive, and amusing parrots truly are. Our speaker has pursued a lifelong passion and fascination with parrots. A onetime owner of a parrot store, she now is Director of Humane Education with Foster Parrots, Ltd. and The New England Wildlife Sanctuary in Rhode Island, where she works on behalf of parrots that would otherwise have no place to call home. Her other passion is humane education and through numerous programs she works tirelessly to encourage people of all ages to become thoughtful, responsible stewards of the Earth.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30. For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org <http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/>. or call 203-331-6067.  Please Note: As per the Club’s by-laws, the April meeting is traditionally the Annual Meeting, which includes presentation of a slate of officers and their election.

Field Trips:

Lighthouse Point to the English Bird Sanctuary.  The Richard English Memorial Field Trip.  Saturday, April 2, 2016, 8:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Meet in the Lighthouse Point Hawk Watch parking lot and bird the harbor for gulls, loons, ducks, and early returning shorebirds. We then proceed  to  the Richard English Bird Sanctuary at the Deer Lake Scout Camp in Killingworth. We finish our birding tour with a visit to Hammonasset Beach State Park. This is an all-day trip; bring lunch and dress warmly. Leader—Mike Horn: 203.288.1891, mfhorn at att.net <mailto:mfhorn at att.net>
Gull and Gannet Frenzy, Southport Beach, Southport. Saturday, April 2, 2016, 11:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Join us as we search for plankton-feeding flocks of gulls, including the rare Little and Black-headed Gulls. We’ll also hope to see Northern Gannets plunge-feeding offshore. Wear waterproof shoes for walking on the tidal mudflats, and dress warmly. We may also carpool to nearby sites. End by 2:30 pm. Meet at 11:30 am at Southport Beach, 1505 Pequot Ave., Southport, located at the intersection of Pequot and Sasco Creek Road, along the Westport/Fairfield border.  Leader: Frank Mantlik; 203-984-9410 or  mantlik at sbcglobal.net <mailto:mantlik at sbcglobal.net>
First Wednesday Walk: CT Audubon Coastal Center, Milford.  Wednesday, April 6, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Enjoy an early spring trip to one of the best local birding spots.  We look out into the marsh and along the shore for waterfowl, shorebirds, waders, and raptors. Last year there was a late Snowy Owl.  Meet at  the Coastal Center parking lot,  located at 1 Milford Point Rd. Leader: Stephen Spector: 203-876-7461 (home), 203-928-8089 (cell) or charsjs at sbcglobal.net <mailto:charsjs at sbcglobal.net>
East Rock Birding and Trail Maintenance.  Saturday, April 9, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum parking lot (915 Whitney Ave., Hamden) for a bird walk from 8 to 9:30 am.  Then join Park Ranger Dan Barvir to help with light trail maintenance along the river until noon.  Bring work gloves and pruning shears if you have them.  Leader: Dan Barvir: 203-946-6086 or  dbarvir at newhavenct.net.  East Rock Park is part of the New Haven Parks Department.

Lake Chamberlain, Bethany.  Wednesday, April 20, 7:30 am.  Free and open to the public.  Join  past-president Bill Batsford to check out this excellent birding area. Lake Chamberlain, a Regional Water Authority property, is surrounded by coniferous forest and it has open fields and thickets. Early spring migrants likely to be seen are Palm and Pine Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Phoebe, and Blue-headed Vireo. Bluebirds and Tree Swallows nest in bird houses.  Meet at the RWA parking lot on Sperry Rd., on the right  just  past  Morris  Rd. in  Bethany.  Leader: Bill Batsford: 203-787-1642 (home), 203-494-4325 (cell), or  william.batsford at yale.edu <mailto:william.batsford at yale.edu>
Ansonia Nature Center, Ansonia.  Saturday, April 23, 7:30 am.  Free and open to the public. Enjoy a walk at this fine birding location. The nature center has a small pond, wetlands, thickets, grassy fields, and woods. The woods have had Northern Goshawks and Great Horned Owls nesting there and there are often other surprises.  Meet at the nature center parking lot, 10 Deerfield Lane (off Benz Road) in Ansonia.  Leader—Maria Stockmal: 203-305-3728, m.stockmal at snet.net <mailto:m.stockmal at snet.net>.

East Rock Garlic Mustard Pull. Sunday, April 24, 2016, 10 am to noon.  Free and open to the public.  Take part in a crucial conservation project. Help remove garlic mustard from East Rock Park, an Important Bird Area that’s a vital migratory bird stopover and breeding habitat.  This invasive plant is a pernicious, prolific pest that can overrun forested areas, squeeze out native spring flowers, kill butterfly caterpillars, and alter the habitat of our native birds. In 3 years,  we’ve  already made a significant improvement at this site! Long pants and sleeves are recommended. Bring work gloves if you have them. Meet at Eli Whitney Museum, 915 Whitney Ave., Hamden. Leader: Winie Wirth: 203-859-2971 or wirthwitte at att.net <mailto:wirthwitte at att.net>.  East Rock Park is part of the New Haven Parks Department

Bird Walk for Families at East Rock Park, New Haven.  Saturday, April 30, 2016, 9:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  On this walk by the park's Mill River, children, accompanied by adults, will search for warblers and other spring migrants. Other interested adults are also welcome to join the walk in this famous spring birding site.  Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum parking lot, 915 Whitney Ave., Hamden.  Bring binoculars and a field guide if you have them. Leader: Florence McBride: 203i-288-6777 or  fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com <mailto:fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com>. East Rock Park is part of the New Haven Parks Department.

Larry Bausher
West Haven