[CT Birds] Noble Proctor BioBlitz Challenge at Hammonasset on May 14, 2016

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Apr 1 12:52:36 EDT 2016

*Noble Proctor BioBlitz Challenge at Hammonasset on May 14, 2016

*http://rtpi.org/noble-proctor-bioblitz-challenge-at-hammonasset-on-may-14-2016/*
*
Please join family, friends, colleagues and students for a celebration
of Noble Proctor’s life in the form of a BioBlitz Challenge at
Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison, Connecticut on Saturday, May
14, 2016 from 8AM to sunset. Our headquarters for the BioBlitz will be
at the pavilion near Willard’s Island. A BioBlitz is a race to find
every species of life possible – birds, mammals, plants, insects, and
more. We will form teams to search the park and record all the species
we can discover. At 1:00 PM, we will come together as a group, sit down
for lunch, and have a gathering at the pavilion to say a few words about
Noble.

Noble Proctor was one of Roger Tory Peterson’s dearest friends and
protégées, playing an integral role in forming the Roger Tory Peterson
Institute of Natural History (RTPI) in Jamestown, New York. Noble’s
passion for natural science was nationally and internationally known.
His vast knowledge and enthusiasm excited a lifetime commitment to
natural history and environmental stewardship in many of his students.

In honor of Noble’s legacy we are requesting donations for this BioBlitz
to support RTPI’s local sponsorship of the 2016 Wildlife Guards Program
(http://rtpi.org/education/wildlife-guards/) in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Started by Audubon Connecticut and the City of Bridgeport, the WildLife
Guards program trains, mentors, and employs ten local high schools
students and two college-aged crew leaders. The WildLife Guards are
tasked with stewardship and monitoring nesting birds like the federally
threatened Piping Plover and engaging visitors, families, and friends
about the City’s Pleasure Beach and its ecosystem. They offer unique
activities for children like making their own Piping Plover, coastal
ecology lessons, and plant identification. The program features
education, conservation and advocacy in action five days a week,
reaching thousands of visitors over the summer and making a difference
for rare or endangered plants and wildlife on Pleasure Beach while
creating the next generation of environmentalists. The fact that this is
done through in-field experiences promoting the knowledge of the natural
world’s diversity is a fitting tribute to Noble’s dedication to bringing
field study to life.

If you will be participating in the BioBlitz please check-in at the
pavilion when you arrive and we will give you a data sheet, but we
invite everyone who knew Noble to join us regardless. The BioBlitz will
take place rain or shine. We will be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers
and providing a few snacks and water at lunch at the pavilion. You will
want to bring a beach or camp chair, binoculars, spotting scopes or
other equipment, water, sunblock, appropriate hats, jackets or other
outerwear, field guides, hiking boots, and fond memories.

Please email your RSVP to noble at rtpi.org and let us know who will be
attending, if you plan to participate in the BioBlitz and your area of
expertise, and if you have any questions. RTPI is an IRS designated
501(c)(3) non-profit organization and all donations are tax-deductible.
Donations can be made online while please specifying in the dropdown box
that your donation is made for the Bridgeport WildLife Guards or the
Noble Proctor BioBlitz: https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/rtpi

Please contact lpierce at rtpi.org with any questions about donations.

More information on Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History can
be found on our website: http://www.rtpi.org

Additional details on the WildLife Guards program are here:
http://rtpi.org/education/wildlife-guards/

A map of Hammonasset by Patrick Lynch is available in this PDF file:
https://patricklynchdesign.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/hammonasset-map-2-1.pdf

We hope to see you on May 14!

Best,
Scott