[CT Birds] Sandy Point Bald Eagle Pair

Colleen Lord clordtalbot at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 15:00:46 EDT 2016

11:30am I meant to have a quick stop-off off at West Haven Boat Ramp in the rain on way back from taking son to dr in New Haven. Surprised to find a gorgeous Bald Eagle pair sitting on the beach at the end of Sandy Point. At 12:07pm one and then the other flew off toward the water plant.  Wonderfully, they turned and flew directly over our vehicle- and me without a camera. Great views from the moonroof though.  I watched them in the binocs land in a tree on First Ave. Drove over and found them just north of North St. very close to the road. I remembered my son had his old iPhone 4 and we got a few horrible, zoomed in pics through the rainy windshield. They stayed until 12:24pm then took off toward West River. Presumably the Yale baseball field pair?  Do they not have eggs yet? Also a Great Egret flew over for a minute from SP to the boat ramp shore.

Other favorites in the rain this morning included a lively Long-tailed Duck pretty close to Anchor Beach. No Purple Sandpipers at that time though. Two Osprey nest building at Cove St Marsh with a Great Cormorant watching. No Osprey at the new Anderson St Marsh platforms but a Great Egret nearby. Also at least two Cattle Egret popping their heads up from the grasses.

As I'm writing this at 2:45pm, my friend Tim just texted me saying he has his first ever Bald Eagle in a tree through his window scope (11th floor Soundview Apts facing Nhvn harbor and Sandy Point)... so it looks like they're still in the area, or have returned.

Colleen Lord
Woodmont

Sent from my iPhone