[CT Birds] East Rock Park: Pileated Woodpecker

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:35:01 EDT 2016

This afternoon, around 2pm, I heard, then saw, then watched for over half an hour a male PILEATED WOODPECKER in East Rock Park.  I first heard it calling from trees along the dirt path between the river and Livingston Street.  Then it flew right in front of me to land on the large fallen tree by the footbridge.  Finally, it foraged on a tree just opposite the street that had clearly been worked on for some time.  I left it after about half an hour, still working that tree.  At one point, it drilled on a resonant branch, but no lady pileated appeared.

That makes for 6 woodpecker species at East Rock the last two days: Downy, Hairy, Red-Bellied, Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, and Flicker.

The swans have built their nest, the Osprey is back, and a male COWBIRD has been singing by the athletic fields.

Oh, and I watched a muskrat working with some plant materials today!

Good birding,

Kimberly Jannarone

New Haven