[CT Birds] Gannets and Porpoises Stamford

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sat Apr 9 10:26:07 EDT 2016

4/9 0800-0845 while watching a steady, continuing stream of Northern Gannets from Shippan Point in Stamford, I was distracted by a group of what are believed to be Harbor Porpoises (identification based on fin size and shape) that were traveling east. There were at least 4-5; one that was swimming alongside another was much smaller giving the impression of mother and calf. They didn't seem to be traveling at great speed since I was able to watch them for at least 20 minutes from Stamford Ave, which has a somewhat narrower view of LIS than Shippan Ave.

Also observed this morning were many Common Loons in varying plumages, some in full breeding; 2 Red-throated Loons, 16 Brant.

Brenda Inskeep in Stamford