[CT Birds] GHO in Lyme and more

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 15:04:42 EDT 2016

No, not the Greater Hartford Open-adult Great Horned Owl in a Lyme land trust property, in a mature stand of white pines. Last time we were there (late Feb) there were 2 adults, so they are almost certainly nesting in these pines.
Ferry Road in Hadlyme-the Whalebone Cove Red-headed Woodpecker was not seen this afternoon. A local dogwalker said the bird has not been around the past 2 days. There was a Great Egret foraging in the Cove.
A couple of weeks ago I was approached by a “classmate” (Coastal Certificate course at Conn College) asking me to ID a “hawklike” bird in her neighborhood. Her cellphone photo was of a N. Goshawk. The bird was in a nest in Haddam in a lightly-developed neighborhood near a block of Cockaponsett State Forest. We went to check it out-the bird was not seen or heard that day, but has been heard since. I suspect that the nest, (again, in a mature white pine), was one of the alternate nests that this bird uses, and that it is nesting close by. We’ll be checking it out again. Nice to know that this bird is likely to be breeding nearby.

Rob Mirer