[CT Birds] Hamden, Lake Whitney: GBHE nesting?, Osprey, &c.

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Thu Apr 14 20:07:38 EDT 2016

It seems a pair of Great Blue Heron are beginning to build a nest, on RWA property just south of Waite St. bridge, across the upper part of Lake Whitney.  I saw one with a stick disappear into the pines then fly away.  When I got to the bridge, I saw one come back, & there was the other one.  I have some film, but ebird seems to take images only.

You might try this link, which should work even if you're not on FB.  (Don't have volume up:  lots of wind noise.)  https://www.facebook.com/arthur.shippee/videos/10154094404029042/?l=3937917265547307862

Also, saw an Osprey sit for a bit on the platform just north of Waite St.

Otherwise, the Chipping Sparrow had a lovely bright spring cap.  A bunch of teal at the N. end of Lake W.  Otherwise, fairly normal.