[CT Birds] Becoming a Manhattan birder.

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri Apr 15 19:06:56 EDT 2016

Now that the sun is setting, a nice piece on becoming a city birder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/nyregion/spotted-late-blooming-urban-bird-watcher.html <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/nyregion/spotted-late-blooming-urban-bird-watcher.html>

Excerpt:  I became a bird-watcher, or at least a fledgling one, in a very New York way. ... browsing the New-York Historical Society’s lecture schedule when an oddball entry caught my eye: a guided spring-migration bird walk in Central Park.

It made no sense, listed among the expected sessions on Colonial customs and world affairs. On a lark, I signed up.

The more experienced in the crowd, generous with information as birders tend to be, called out species and locations for the beginners — “black-and-white warbler, halfway up the trunk”; “magnolia warbler, forked branch at 9 o’clock.”

Even with my lame eyewear, the anonymous dark specks were revealed as creatures with distinct personalities and stunning colors and design.

I went and bought a decent pair of binoculars for $250.