[CT Birds] Solar arrays and birds

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 16 09:57:00 EDT 2016

We are presently looking to install a solar array in Bloomfield....about 5 acres would be used. Having read all the articles about birds and bats being fried at large arrays in Western states, I did more research. I still don't like the idea of solar arrays in general, but this is the way it seems to be going here in the Northeast. This National Audubon article shows a way that these arrays can benefit habitat for birds and pollinators. I am hoping we can do this here in Bloomfield if the array is approved, which it probably will be.

Here is a link to how the state of Minnesota is using solar arrays to create habitat for birds, bees and other pollinators. We could take this opportunity to create something of great value not only for clean energy, but also for conservation of the environment. The educational opportunities would also be of great value. Kids could learn about clean energy as well as about habitat conservation.

https://www.audubon.org/news/can-solar-plants-make-good-bird-habitat?utm_source=action&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016-04-14-advisory

Zellene