[CT Birds] Hamonassett

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:25:22 EDT 2016

Judy Moore and I birded Hamonassett this morning.  Beautiful day and lots
of cool birds.  Did not see the Vesper sparrow.
One lone Horned Lark, and 1 Little Blue heron were highlights. 4 Seal
sightings- end of Cedar Trail, and one popped its head up near the Meigs
nature center trail along shore. If I missed any sightings, Judy will add
to it.
Attached is the ebird report.

Hammonasset Beach SP--Meig's Point Parking Lot/Marshes, New Haven,
Connecticut, US
Apr 17, 2016 9:10 AM - 11:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
about 1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     birded Willard's island trail, cedar trail , marshes and shore
33 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant  X
Mallard  1
scoter sp.  7     far out, on Long island sound
Red-breasted Merganser  7
Common Loon  1
Northern Gannet  2     flying at end of Cedar trail
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Cormorant  2
Little Blue Heron  1     in marsh at end of Cedar trail
Osprey  X
American Oystercatcher  2     at end of cedar trail
Ruddy Turnstone  1
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  X
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  4
Horned Lark  1     at end of Cedar trail on beach
Tree Swallow  40     approximate number-many nest boxes occupied and birds
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
American Robin  X
Northern Mockingbird  2
White-throated Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  1     male on willards island trail
Northern Cardinal  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
Brown-headed Cowbird  2