[CT Birds] Naugatuck SF, Osbornedale SP

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Apr 17 21:06:18 EDT 2016

I had nothing unexpected today but there were some nice birds.

In Naugatuck State Forest (as reached by Hunters Mtn Rd, Naugatuck) I had a singing Louisiana Waterthrush twice, first by the range and then just upstream on the other side of the powerline cut.  Pine Warbler in the usual place, beyond the first green gate as you approach on Hunter's Mtn Rd.  Also one each Palm Warbler and American Kestrel.  There seemed to be a lot of drumming by Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, including multiple occasions of two at a time.

At the Stevenson Dam between Oxford and Monroe, two Northern Rough-winged Swallows.  (No sign of the Cliff Swallows yet.)

At Osbornedale State Park in Derby, Common Raven and Brown Thrasher were the standouts.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT