[CT Birds] Spring Birding Programs at the CAS Coastal Center at Milford Point

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Sat Apr 23 15:11:05 EDT 2016

Hi All,
Here's a list of this springs birding programs at the Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point. It's a nice assortment of evening programs and weekend field trips. There are even an owl prowls and birding by ear classes. I hope you can join us! All programs meet at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT., unless otherwise noted. If you have questions or wish to register, please call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502.  Check our webpage: www.ctaudubon.org<http://www.ctaudubon.org> for listings of other programs.

I'll see you at the Center.

Frank

Frank Gallo,
Senior Naturalist
Coastal Center at Milford Point

1 Milford Point Road
Milford, CT 06460
203 878 7440 x 501
fgallo at ctaudubon.org
www.ctaudubon.org<http://www.ctaudubon.org/>
Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/CTAudubon>
Like us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Connecticut-Audubon-Society/157272804378761?ref=tn_tnmn>

Sorting Out Bird Songs
Friday, April 29 or Wednesday, June 8
7 - 9 p.m.
Discover the basics of birding by ear!  Using a variety of sound resources, instructor Frank Gallo will teach you tips, tricks, and even pitfalls to identifying birds by sound.  Is that an oriole or a tanager singing? Come find out, as we delve into the secrets to birding by ear. Fee: $35 members, $45 non-members, $25 Seniors

Birding for Beginners
Wednesday, April 27, 7-9 p.m. (classroom)
Sunday., May 1,  9-11:30 a.m. (field trip)
Learn the basics for identifying birds on your own! During this fun and comprehensive hands-on course, longtime instructor and expert birder Frank Gallo will teach you ID skills as well as how to choose and use field guides and binoculars, and where to find birds locally. The course culminates with a field trip to a local park. No experience is necessary. Bring the "Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds." (Field guides are available for sale at the Coastal Center.) Fee: $75 members, $85 non-members, $65 Seniors.

Hidden Gems Series: Bird Walks in Milford Area Parks
7:45 - 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, April 30: Mondo Ponds- early migrants - Leader, Steve Spector
Saturday, May 7: Wilcox Park - migrants
Saturday, May 14: Eisenhower Park- Leader, Steve Spector
Saturday, May 21: Mondo Ponds - late migrants
Saturday, May 28: Silver Sands - Breeding birds and late migrants
Saturday, June 4: Milford Point - Shorebirds, terns and gulls
Saturday, June 11: Turkey Hill Preserve, Orange - Deep Forest nesters
The Milford area is blessed with many wonderful parks. Expert birder and Connecticut Audubon's Senior Naturalist has handpicked the best sites to explore in spring, from hidden gems, such as Wilcox Park, to more well-known sites, such as Milford Point. Frank will guide walkers to a variety of species of seasonal birds at each location. No experience necessary. Binoculars are available upon request. Preregistration recommended. Contact Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register and to request binoculars. Meet at each park; directions will be provided.
Fee: 7 week series $60 ($30 seniors, $45 CAS members); weekly, $9 per walk ($5 seniors, $7 CAS members)

Field Birding - The River Road, Kent
Saturday, May 7
Join expert birder Frank Gallo for a tour of Kent's famous River Road, one of Connecticut's premier birding sites nestled in the scenic northwest highlands. It is home to breeding Cerulean, Worm-eating, and Hooded Warblers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Common Mergansers, Least Flycatchers and Cliff Swallows. More than 90 species of birds have been recorded here in a single day in May. Join us for an exciting bird-filled morning. We'll stop for lunch in Kent village. Meet at the Coastal Center at 7:30 a.m. We will return after lunch.
$49 Members; $59 non-members; $40 seniors

Spring Owl Prowls
Wednesday,  May 25,
7:30- 9:15 p.m.
When the sun retreats, owls awaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise; others say that they have sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, we'll uncover the mysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters, while learning about the species that co-exist in our area. The evening culminates at a local park where we'll carpool and try to call one in. It's a hoot!  Meet at the Coastal Center. Not recommended for young children.
Fee: $30/person. $20 Seniors, $8 Children (ages 10 and up)