[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Boat-tailed Grackles: "Westoni" Subspecies?

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:01:16 EDT 2016

From Birds of North America.

"In first year, eye color of both sexes (Q. m. torreyi; see Systematics: Geographic Variation) brown, turning pearl gray (81) than toward color of adults. Male eyes gradually turn buff-yellow (53) in year 2; usually ocher or chamois in beginning of year 3. Eye-color change in females more gradual: full yellow often not attained until middle of year 3, when many (7 of 12 known-age birds) still had gray eyes. However, some year-2 females had yellow eyes, and some year-5 females had gray eyes; possible that eyes of latter do not become yellow (WP). Factors affecting eye-color changes need further study."

Mark Szantyr
Storrs.