[CT Birds] white-faced ibis in Old Saybrook

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 22 21:26:04 EDT 2016

Hi all,
Sorry for not providing more detail earlier. I had a 25 minute window while waiting for my son to be done at Old Saybrook High this afternoon so I nipped down to Plum Bank to look for early saltmarsh sparrows.  When I saw a flock of 38 ibis I figured I should probably try to find a white-faced.  The birds were well out in marsh and feeding a lot, so it was hard to see their heads, but 5 mins before I had to leave I found one with extensive white feathering around the eye, a pink face, and as best I could tell a reddish eye.  Unfortunately, I had to rush off to meet the teenagers I was supposed to be transporting.  Having had a chance to look at my photos (crummy, but there's a couple on eBird) and refresh my memory on the hybridization issues I feel good with the ID.

Also present were at least 3 willets and a clapper rail.  No sparrows, sadly.  Hammo also had ibis and lots of willets this morning. Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net