[CT Birds] Pied-billed grebes continuing in Pachaug Statet Forest (Voluntown)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Apr 24 19:17:47 EDT 2016

Today I saw one pied-billed grebe on a remote corner of Beachdale Pond (Voluntown),  following up on my most recent sightings in the first week of  April here.  The grebe flew into this corner twice in fifteen minutes while I counted the sunning turtles.  On the second turnaround it stopped for fifteen seconds and I could see it was flying around with a fish in its bill.  It is probably still flying around the pond with the fish as I write this.  No new behavior there, although having confirmed it was a grebe I can begin to appreciate subtle differences of its motions from others.
Otherwise it was relatively quiet today in the forest, the only notable arrival being two towhees heard near Sawmill Pond.
Brian Williams