[CT Birds] East Rock: Scarlet Tanager, Worm-Eating Warbler, BT Green

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:56:43 EDT 2016

Gorgeous morning after the rain here in East Rock.  Joined by my friend Paul and a new friend from about 7:30-11, we had  40 species along the athletic fields and up the Giant Steps trail.

Highlights:

Male SCARLET TANAGER

2 Blue-Headed Vireos singing in adjacent treetops; Warbling Vireos singing in multiple locations

Many RB Grosbeaks singing apparently on territory

WORM-EATING WARBLER near the Giant Steps Trail.  We followed its song until we saw it on its perch.

Northern Waterthrush were singing all along the river

Yellow-Rumped, Black-and-White, Palm Warblers

1 BLACK-THROATED GREEN Warbler

3 SAVANNAH SPARROWS

A pair of TREE SWALLOWS were investigating a nest box by the fields; Chimney Swifts were high overhead.

Thanks to everyone who posts their sightings, whether they are backyard newcomers or one-time migrants: I learn a lot from this list.

Good birding,

Kimberly Jannarone

East Rock Park