[CT Birds] Hamden: Waite bridge & causeway Lake Whitney, Apr 30, 2016: osprey & GBHE nests

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Apr 30 17:59:42 EDT 2016

Checked out the nests visible from Waite St. bridge, over upper Lake Whitney, Hamden.  Activity continues at both, as per below.

Missed getting shots of the GBHE, battery problem (cold?) on iPhone.

> Begin forwarded message:
> From: ebird-checklist at cornell.edu
> Subject: eBird Report - Waite bridge & causeway Lake Whitney, Apr 30, 2016
> Date: April 30, 2016 at 5:50:20 PM EDT
> To: ashippee at snet.net
> Waite bridge & causeway Lake Whitney, New Haven, Connecticut, US
> Apr 30, 2016 5:00 PM
> Protocol: Incidental
> 2 species
> Great Blue Heron  3     One fooling with then settled on the nest, another flew in & stood by.  Third, having hunted a shore, flew towards the nest-tree & landed below it, & the two by the nest croaked at it some, then quieted down.

> Osprey  2     Or three.  Two were aloft & chatting a bit;  when I got around the bend & saw the nest, one was nestled inside.  Perhaps one of the two aloft birds, or perhaps not.
> View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29310358

& last Thursday, with Egret & photos:
	View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29310495 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29310495>