[CT Birds] Reminder on posts and eBird

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon May 2 10:54:42 EDT 2016

Hey folks - just a reminder that when you post to this list serv it is
essentially for recreational birding and entertainment. While that's
great, your sightings are not recorded by anyone in any official
capacity for conservation via CT Birds. That is why you should please
use eBird (http://www.ebird.org) for any and all bird sightings that you
have whether they be Rusty Blackbirds, a trip to an IBA, a group bird
walk tally, or the cool things you want to share from your backyard.
This global data is stored in a secured database to be used by thousands
of scientists, non-profits and schools for all-time.

We've said this a number of times over the last decade, but posting
things only here (or Facebook etc.) allows them to fall into the void.
These emails drift into our inboxes and that's it. The collective "we"
really need all of the citizen scientist help we can get, and that can
only happen by participating in projects that contribute data and
information to help protect our birds and their habitats, or at the very
least entering data into eBird on your own time whenever you can.
Besides, eBird is a great tool to better enjoy your birding - learning
about what is to be expected and where, how populations change over time
and seasons, the best spot to find that one species you cannot wait to
see, tracking your yard count of birds, and so on.

As enjoyable as it is to see and share all these birds people do
consider how you can help them to survive, and eBird is one way to do so
that is free, easy and very beneficial to you.

Thanks!
Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch