[CT Birds] New Haven Crow Behavior

S Richmond 3richmonds at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:32:22 EDT 2016

About 3 weeks ago, 5-7 crows were perched on the top branches of a very
tall dead evergreen - each on a separate branch.  They began calling in
turn, each crow at a different pitch, and never together (it really seemed
rather musical - kind of like counterpoint).  This went on for about 5
minutes and did not seem to involve any territorial behavior.  I never saw
anything like this before and wonder if any has or whether this is common
crow behavior.

Also today, I drove up to a stop sign, preparing to turn right onto the
main road.  There is a crosswalk just to the right at which stood a crow,
looking as though it was waiting to cross.  So I waited, it looked at me,
checked both ways and proceeded to cross in the crosswalk..