[CT Birds] Plainfield Shorebirds, Orchard Orioles

Dyl Pedro pedrodyl at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 23:38:31 EDT 2016

Hey CTBirders,

A stop at the Quinebaug Valley Fish Hatchery yielded some interesting birds (interesting to me, anyway). There was a somewhat surprising congregation of shorebirds on the small pond north of the hatchery ponds. I counted 5 Solitary Sandpipers, 4 Least Sandpipers, 4 Spotted Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, and 2 Killdeer. Not bad for a seemingly random inland pond.

Also of note were 4 Orchard Orioles (3M, 1F) singing and battling for territory in the brush nearby, giving killer looks (and listens).

Happy May,
Dylan Pedro, Burrillville RI