[CT Birds] Late May New Haven Bird Club Field Trips

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed May 11 20:06:18 EDT 2016

Please note the following schedule of late May NHBC field trips, and check the NHBC website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

Nehantic State Forest and Hartman Park, Lyme.  Saturday, May 14, 6:25 am.  Free and open to the public.  Today we explore two prime birding locations in Lyme. Nehantic State Forest, a 1,200-acre woodland, is home to Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and numerous other species.  There are large ponds where we can find waterfowl, flycatchers, and other species. Nearby Hartman’s Park is known for its breeding population of Cerulean Warblers.  Meet at 6:25 at the commuter lot at Exit 55 off I-95 in Branford or at 7:00 am at the Keeny Road entrance to Nehantic State Forest on Rt. 156, Lyme.  Leader: Paul Wolter: 860-681-5585 or  pwolter6 at earthlink.net <mailto:pwolter6 at earthlink.net>.

Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck.  Sunday, May 15, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Join us at the peak of spring migration on this moderately strenuous and long hike in a fine birding location.  We search for both migrants and residents. We often see more than 15 warbler species on this trip, including nesting Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers. Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and many other species are common here. Meet at the commuter lot at Exit 25 off  Rt. 8, Naugatuck.   Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net <mailto:closcalz at optonline.net>

Massaro Farm in Woodbridge.  Sunday, May 15, 2:00 pm. Free and open to the public.  We're so pleased to offer a spring migratory bird walk, led by New Haven Bird Club member and expert birder, Chris Loscalzo, 203-389-6508. Please join us as we walk the woods and fields of the farm looking for a variety of birds. The diverse structure at the farm - open fields, low brush and the woods - makes for great viewing of a variety of bird species! Bring your own binoculars or we'll have a few extra as well. Closed toed shoes and long pants recommended for walking around the farm property.  The address is 41 Ford Road, off of Ansonia Road.

Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.  Saturday, May 21, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public.  This will be our twelfth annual trip to this excellent birding spot.  We'll meet at the commuter lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and carpool to Barn Island. The area consists of large expanses of salt marsh, tidal pools, wetlands, woodlands, and open fields. We should see wading birds, shorebirds, and area residents such as Saltmarsh Sparrow, Marsh Wren, White-eyed Vireo, American Redstart, Willow Flycatcher, Bobolink, and many other species. Leaders: Renee Baade: 203 270 9953 or rbaade at juno.com <mailto:rbaade at juno.com> and Carolyn Cimino: 860-447-3565, or sailcarm at aol.com <mailto:sailcarm at aol.com>

Bluebirds and Tree Swallows on Lake Chamberlain, Bethany.  Sunday, May 22, 10:00 am-1:00 pm.  Free and open to the public.  For the last 5 years members of the New Haven Bird Club have been maintaining about 50 boxes on Regional Water Authority properties in Bethany and Woodbridge.  Please join Pat Leahy, Dewitt Allen and Mike Ferrari on Sunday, May 22 from 10-1 to view activity in the bluebird and tree swallow boxes on Lake Chamberlain.  We will be explaining how we build and take care of the houses.  We will also be showing what is going on in a couple of special viewing boxes where we can see inside without bothering the new families.  This program will be open to all, welcoming children and grandchildren as well as more experienced birders. We will make a special effort to show our  younger participants how these wonderful birds live.  The Lake Chamberlain Recreation Area is located at 19 Sperry Road, Bethany.  For more information call DeWitt Allen, 860-949-0995.

Kellogg Environmental Center/Osbornedale St. Park, Derby.  Saturday, May 28, 7:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Join us at this excellent birding location where we’ll look for late spring migrants and early nesting species. The center and park have open fields, woods, ponds, and streams.  Meet at the Kellogg Center parking lot, 500 Hawthorne Avenue.  Leader: Maria Stockmal: 203-488-3876 or m.stockmal at snet.net <mailto:m.stockmal at snet.net>.

Larry Bausher
West Haven