[CT Birds] East Rock Park: Black-Billed Cuckoo and Fisher

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 10:10:02 EDT 2016

Hello Birders,

We got out at 5:30am today and were rewarded with a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO and a Fisher (a mammal, not a bird) before 6am.  Also two WILD TURKEYS flew off the road and into some trees in the dawn hour.

We first spotted the Cuckoo in silhouette on Trowbridge Drive, and as it flew by we saw the underside of its tail with minimal white spotting.  Later, around 8am, we watched it fly to multiple trees above Trowbridge, landing on a couple branches and giving crushingly good views of its red eye-ring, black downcurved bill, plain gray-brown back and wings, and long, graceful tail.  It flew down and out of sight after a few minutes, vocalizing briefly after it landed below.

GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS were around, and Mark Scott got us on a singing EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE.

Good birding,

Kimberly Jannarone

New Haven