[CT Birds] East Rock Morning local interest

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 13:22:59 EDT 2016

Hello,

This morning I walked the river between College Woods and the covered bridge.  Lots of birdsong in the air, and several sightings of birders, too.  Full list below.  Some highlights:

One SPOTTED SANDPIPER was bobbing along the river bank, and Mark got me on a (lifer!) SOLITARY SANDPIPER as it was flying around the shores west of the swan nest.

The BELTED KINGFISHER was rattling this morning; first I've heard it in a while.

The pair of Mute Swans were taking their two cygnets for a swim.

One EASTERN WOOD PEWEE was singing east of the footbridge.  One EASTERN PHOEBE was singing in a very resonant spot under the Mill River bridge.  John spotted an EASTERN KINGBIRD by the covered bridge.

One SWAINSON'S THRUSH was foraging in the valley by College Woods.  Two CEDAR WAXWINGS surprised me by the footbridge.

One LINCOLN'S SPARROW was hopping around the shrubs near the sharp bend in the path.  Other sparrows include SWAMP, CHIPPING, SONG, and TOWHEES.

Warblers: Many more were spotted by folks who were birding higher up, but by the river alone I saw 11 species, including my FOER (First of East Rock) WILSON'S , several singing CANADAS (many out for terrific views in fresh breeding plumage), OVENBIRD, PARULA, N WATERTHRUSH, MAGNOLIA, etc, and one PINE.

A great day made even better by the excellent birders out there.

Kimberly Jannarone

New Haven

May 17, 2016 7:30 AM - 10:30 AM

Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Along the river; cloudy day.
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  1
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  4     2 goslings
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)  2
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  2
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  1
Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria)  1
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon))  2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  6
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  8
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1     singing along river
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  6
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  7
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  3
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  2
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  1
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  8
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  10
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  2
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)  1
Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis)  1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  3
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  5
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  4
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  3
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis)  3
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  3
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii)  1
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  4
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  10
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  8
Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius)  2
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  8
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  3