[CT Birds] CAS Raven Luna-ticks Big Day Challenge is coming!

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Wed May 18 10:03:07 EDT 2016

Hi all,

The Connecticut Audubon Society's Raven Luna-ticks Big Day team is gearing up for the day. As always, we're in need of help from the Connecticut birding community. Specifically, we're in search of lingering waterfowl, loons, and grebes. We're not seeing many sea ducks of any kind. In a run from Madison to West Haven yesterday, I found only one flock of scoters, and I've seen only a few common loons, and one red-throated loon in my travels. Patrick had similar results from Stamford to Bridgeport. If anyone is finding lingering sea or puddle ducks, loons, and grebes, please let us know. Red-breasted Merganser, Long-tailed Duck, Scaup, Wigeon, Gadwall (they've been scarce), teal of any flavor, N. Pintail, Ring-necked Duck are all things we're trying to find.

Hawk nests along the coast, sora or king rail locations, odd gulls, a green heron or Kingfisher nest, and calling bitterns are all birds we'll need to have back-ups for on our day.

If anyone runs into an early Acadian Flycatcher (I've seen a couple of reports), White-eyed Vireo (especially on territory) and grassland birds, such as Eastern Meadowlark and Kestrel, please let us know.

We really appreciate all the help we receive each year tracking down Connecticut's birds. We're shooting for the magic 200 species, and we will again be raising important dollars to support the Coastal Center at Milford Point. We're over halfway to our goal of $7000. If you'd like to support the Coastal Center's educational and conservation efforts, you can donate directly on line. Just follow the link. https://ssl.charityweb.net/ctaudubon/2016BigDay.htm

<https://ssl.charityweb.net/ctaudubon/2016BigDay.htm>

There is a wonderful article in the New Haven Register this week about the event. Here's the link. http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20160517/connecticut-team-gearing-up-for-big-day-of-competitive-bird-watching

A big thank you to all those who have contributed already and to everyone who plans to... and for your help with finding our target birds. We can never do this without your support.

We'll see you in the field.

Frank & the Raven Luna-ticks (Nick Bonomo (out this year), Patrick Dugan, Dave Tripp, Fran Zygmont, and Dave Provencher (Doing a Nick impersonation, as only he can do.)

Frank Gallo, Senior Naturalist

Connecticut Audubon Society

Coastal Center at Milford Point

1 Milford Point Road, Milford 06460