[CT Birds] Avon Olive-sided Flycatchers

David Lawton lawtonesq at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:21:20 EDT 2016

This morning, I had TWO Olive-sided Flycatchers at the pond west of
Tillotson Rd and just south of Old Farms Rd.

One was calling from treetop southwest of pond. Another was silently
hawking insects from a snag above the north side of the pond until chased
off by a male Red-winged Blackbird.

The vocal distant bird was still calling while I had the silent bird at
close range in the binoculars, close enough to distinguish the individual
dark stripes making up the dark vest.

The vocal bird departed after calling 30 to 40 times. And I was unable to
relocate the silent bird after it flew up toward the pines northwest of the
pond.

Very unusual in my experience to have two birds in relatively close
proximity.

David Lawton
Avon, CT