[CT Birds] Barn Island highlights

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu May 19 21:08:39 EDT 2016

5/19/16:  Barn Island WMA, Stonington.  We had the day off from work, so we
went out to Barn Island. The best birds were a Tricolored Heron, first seen
in the first impoundment marsh.  Later, we saw it flying east along the edge
of the marsh past the fourth impoundment.  Also, a Yellow-breasted Chat was
seen and heard along the trail that begins opposite the main trail head and
goes west a short distance to the water.  We got great looks at a
Black-billed Cuckoo in a tree at the north end of the large shrubby field at
the east end of the WMA.  Other notable sightings were: Green Heron,
Short-billed Dowitcher, Willow Flycatcher, White-eyed and Yellow-throated
Vireo, Orchard Oriole, 10 warbler species, and 7 shorebird species.  72
species in total. Full report on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge