[CT Birds] Wolcott, Southington Whip-poor-wills

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Thu May 19 22:08:37 EDT 2016

     With a full moon and warm temperatures I decided to drive around the area to local spots where I can usually find Whip-poor-wills and they were out singing tonight.  The first spot I heard them was in Wolcott at the fields at the end of Beecher Rd.  This is an area where I had heard them regularly in the past from 2004-2010, but this is the first time I've heard them there since 2010.  I think some recent mowing of the overgrowth may have improved the habitat for them.
   Next I went down Mt. Vernon Rd. in Southington.  I had recently noticed a field across from Lincoln College so I decided to stop and see if any were there.  Sure enough, when the traffic died down I was able to hear one calling.  Further south on Mt Vernon Rd. is a power line cut where I had surveyed on my DEP route and one was still calling there also.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott