[CT Birds] tanagers harvesting nesting materials from orioles

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun May 22 19:51:21 EDT 2016

(Resending this - didn't come through the first time!)
Chester, 5/22 - About a week ago, our resident orioles thought they were
going to build a nest cup from one of the tendrils of our giant weeping
cherry tree. Once they realized it hung down directly over my Dad's
pickup truck in the driveway, they thought better and moved to a tree
further away. This morning, I walked out our kitchen door and saw a male
scarlet tanager in the cherry tree, about 15 feet away. He was intently
watching his mate, who was fluttering around the abandoned oriole scraps
(they had left some unwoven grasses hanging in a clump on the tendril).
The female tanager picked and pecked and finally came away with a bill
full of nesting material - she then flew into our back woods with the
male hot on her tail. One bird's abandoned nest is another's
construction material!
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester